New Highway code - merge in turn

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Car training.

Postby martine » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:01 pm

The new HC encourages drivers to use all available lanes up to the point of a roadworks lane closure.

Sure it will make the queues shorter but the time taken will be the same won't it? I suppose if it were common knowledge it makes it fairer as long as everyone plays by the rules and 'merges in turn'.

What do people think - good or bad or makes no difference?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI
martine

Postby jont » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:07 pm

martine wrote:What do people think - good or bad or makes no difference?

Don't think it will make much difference - I don't imagine most people will bother reading the HW code. If it's clearly signed then it may help shorten the queue lengths, but those who get upset at people using the shorter lane aren't likely to change in attitude :?
jont

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:10 pm

martine wrote:Sure it will make the queues shorter but the time taken will be the same won't it?

What do people think - good or bad or makes no difference?

If it makes the queues shorter and takes the same time - that's a good thing isn't it?

It's an excellent idea, but given the British queuing mentality, it will not work.
crr003

Postby martine » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:17 pm

crr003 wrote:If it makes the queues shorter and takes the same time - that's a good thing isn't it?

Why? The time getting through the obstruction will probably be the same - just the queue is shorter (and slower) - so what?
martine

Postby jamei » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:22 pm

A shorter queue is less likley to obstruct other junctions
jamei

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:41 pm

martine wrote:Why? The time getting through the obstruction will probably be the same - just the queue is shorter (and slower) - so what?

Jamei said it.

A while back there was lane 2 closure on the M53 - two lane section around junctions 5-6-7-8. Very closely spaced.

Your average British driver saw the signs and dived into lane 1 and proceeded to block up junctions 5/6/7.

I went down lane 2 to the closure (just past 7) and merged into lane 1 - no issues at all.

And there would have been lots of people waiting to exit at 5/6/7 who were delayed.

For no good reason.

Use the available tarmac - you've paid for it!
crr003

Postby 899cc » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:51 pm

When using both lanes (in any situation, not just road works) I can see two benefits (in theory). You're likely to get more cars (potentially double the number) over at lights if they merge after the lights. The queue will be shorter, which could unblock things further back.

The reality is that people put their foot down in the RHL to overtake, even if it's moving at exactly the same rate as the LHL. Cars in the RHL will also always want to overtake an extra car in the LHL, which leads to dangerous driving. When the idiots in the RHL cut in, they force people in the LHL to brake, which can cause a ripple of braking. I think British drivers are incapable of doing anything that requires a little thought.
899cc

Postby notaboyracer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:04 am

Is this what is known as Zip merging?

I understand it when at roadworks, or when two lanes merge to one, but what happens when it is 2 lanes which later go in different directions?

This is something that has always puzzled me, with respect to one particular road if anyone knows it, Mottram Moor between Glossop and Hyde, where the A57 (snake pass) and the A628 (woodhead pass) meet before the M67 to Manchester outer ring road (M60). I'm sure this happens in other places but this is the worst I know of.

The left hand lane goes straight on (the major route), and is almost always ludicrously busy, the right hand lane turns right somewhere else and is hardly ever busy. The signs for which lane to be in appear about a third the way up the hill (as in two thirds left to travel before the routes split- about 1/4 mile)

Does it count as zip merging if I take the right hand lane to get round the traffic but indicate and wait for someone to let me in nearer the junction? I know most people would see it as un-courteous, but then most people see proper use of zip merging at roadworks etc as un-courteous.

It seems like when this is the case, if a few people do this, then those few people are waiting for a lot less time, everybody else waits the same amount of time. If nobody did it, the traffic queue would definitely extend further back, and could cause problems earlier where the two roads meet and become a DC. On the other hand, if everybody did it, it would be chaos!

There must be loads of similar situations around the country, where a major route DC splits into a minor and major route both on SC?
What would everybody else do?
notaboyracer

Postby ROG » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:34 am

Is this what is known as Zip merging?

Yep - and it does make the traffic go through QUICKER if done correctly as there is less actual stopping - drivers tend to leave a gap for the incomming vehicle and it makes the whole thing flow better.
A good example of this, is where you see the "use both lanes" signs followed by "merge in turn" signs.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:50 pm

899cc wrote:When using both lanes (in any situation, not just road works) I can see two benefits (in theory). You're likely to get more cars (potentially double the number) over at lights if they merge after the lights. The queue will be shorter, which could unblock things further back.
Agreed but I think we were talking about 3 lane m-way with one lane closed. I think the only benefit is the queue is shorter but the time in the queues for either system is the same. I can see it's a good idea where there is another junction immediately before the closure as others have posted above.

899cc wrote:The reality is that people put their foot down in the RHL to overtake, even if it's moving at exactly the same rate as the LHL. Cars in the RHL will also always want to overtake an extra car in the LHL, which leads to dangerous driving. When the idiots in the RHL cut in, they force people in the LHL to brake, which can cause a ripple of braking. I think British drivers are incapable of doing anything that requires a little thought.
Yes it's going to take long time before this is accepted by the majority of drivers. I'm not sure I can put up with the aggression if I start 'pushing in' at the closure even though I'd be driving to the HC.
martine

Postby martine » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:56 pm

So Roadcraft, Von or James, if you had been on duty and witnessed the above what would your likely course of action have been? In practice what's the range available to you and if the driver had been courteous and everything else in order, what are you likely to do?
martine

Postby hanse cronje » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:31 pm

if the media had put half the effort into the issue as they had done with smoking then it might make a difference

to be honest no, not a jot

weekday drivers wont read the hwc 'cause they are brilliant and don't need to, weekend drivers won't cause they aint interested. :roll:
hanse cronje

Postby ROG » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:44 pm

I'm not sure I can put up with the aggression if I start 'pushing in' at the closure even though I'd be driving to the HC.

With experience, you can do what you say without pushing in if the indicator is used to "ASK" and the manner of the driving is not aggressive. I do it all the time without upsetting anyone in the artic or the car.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to Advanced Driving Forum (Cars)