skills for life

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby kwaka jack » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Just after a very quick bit of advice. my g/f is going to be buying me my advanced driving lessons/test (skills for life) for my birthday in the near future. Do I need to join my local advanced drivers club or do I sign up through the IAM site and they then put me in touch with a instructor?
Gears to go, Brakes to slow
kwaka jack

Postby ROG » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:24 pm

kwaka jack wrote:Just after a very quick bit of advice. my g/f is going to be buying me my advanced driving lessons/test (skills for life) for my birthday in the near future. Do I need to join my local advanced drivers club or do I sign up through the IAM site and they then put me in touch with a instructor?

On the SFL form it would have asked what area of the UK was preferred so when HQ gets the SFL form they will contact that group most local to you and then they will contact you

The SFL includes a 1 year membership of the local group - our group takes that to start from the date of the fiirst run but other groups may be different

If you know that the SFL forms have been submitted to HQ then I would contact the group most local to you and see if they have received anything yet
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ROG » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:27 pm

ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 pm

When I did mine a few years back, I did it through the IAM website. Quick and easy and they put the closest group in touch with me within a few days.

If you want to do it even faster, find your local group and go straight to them. :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby hir » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Phone the IAM on 0845 126 8600 and ask them what to do.
hir

Postby martine » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Yep - easiest way is to buy a 'Skill for Life' course at:

http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/advanced-driving/motorists-skill-for-life

Once bought, you will receive a pack in the post with details of your local group so you can make contact. The group is also emailed with your details and will be expecting your call.

Some groups start 'associate' drives straight away, others have a waiting list (to allocate an Observer) and others organise specific courses to start a bunch of associates at the same time.

Enjoy!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI
martine

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi

If you sign up on line the local group ( or your preferred group) get an email withing a couple of hours. The also have access to the IAM data base (DTE) where they can record records of the contact. Sometime partners buy the other half the SFL course but don't tell them as its a supprise :D unfortunately very recently my group received a new sign up and called them to be told oh heck I think my wife must have bought me this as a Birthday prezzie. :oops: We were discreet and waited for him to call back before sending out any more information. :)
exportmanuk

Postby ROG » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:38 pm

hir wrote:Phone the IAM on 0845 126 8600 and ask them what to do.

Say not to 0845 - IAM HQ = 020 8996 9646
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby kwaka jack » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Hi

If you sign up on line the local group ( or your preferred group) get an email withing a couple of hours. The also have access to the IAM data base (DTE) where they can record records of the contact. Sometime partners buy the other half the SFL course but don't tell them as its a supprise :D unfortunately very recently my group received a new sign up and called them to be told oh heck I think my wife must have bought me this as a Birthday prezzie. :oops: We were discreet and waited for him to call back before sending out any more information. :)

haha opps, sounds like the kind of thing that would happen to us lol
kwaka jack

Postby monstercop » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Alternatively, both of you go to your local IAM / RoADAR group, and see what it's all about. Join the group, do some observed runs with instruction, and take the test (and potentially buy Roadcraft). All of the training time is conducted by volunteers and is therefore free, and whilst it would get you through your test, your girlfriend could have a go too...
monstercop

Postby kwaka jack » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:59 pm

monstercop wrote:Alternatively, both of you go to your local IAM / RoADAR group, and see what it's all about. Join the group, do some observed runs with instruction, and take the test (and potentially buy Roadcraft). All of the training time is conducted by volunteers and is therefore free, and whilst it would get you through your test, your girlfriend could have a go too...

She's not really into advanced driving. Although she could benefit from some at times
kwaka jack

Postby f3racer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:27 pm

martine wrote:Yep - easiest way is to buy a 'Skill for Life' course at:

http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/advanced-driving/motorists-skill-for-life

Once bought, you will receive a pack in the post with details of your local group so you can make contact. The group is also emailed with your details and will be expecting your call.

Some groups start 'associate' drives straight away, others have a waiting list (to allocate an Observer) and others organise specific courses to start a bunch of associates at the same time.

Enjoy!

It's interesting, the association between "buying" a skills for life course and subsequently receiving training for your advanced test. I would have thought this contravenes the law that states only an ADI/PDI can provide tuition for monetary reward!
f3racer

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:49 pm

f3racer wrote:It's interesting, the association between "buying" a skills for life course and subsequently receiving training for your advanced test. I would have thought this contravenes the law that states only an ADI/PDI can provide tuition for monetary reward!

Isn't the IAM a charity so there is no monetary reward?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby f3racer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:03 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
f3racer wrote:It's interesting, the association between "buying" a skills for life course and subsequently receiving training for your advanced test. I would have thought this contravenes the law that states only an ADI/PDI can provide tuition for monetary reward!

Isn't the IAM a charity so there is no monetary reward?

Chris

I'm not sure how it works but they're basically taking money in return for offering a form of tuition.
f3racer

Postby Gareth » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:15 pm

f3racer wrote:they're basically taking money in return for offering a form of tuition.

Done to death here and elsewhere. You could view it as the central body taking money for a book and a test, but then also giving you the chance to get some help with the preparation. You don't have to take up the offer of help but it is there if you want it. Equally, you can learn from the book, practice by yourself then put in for the test.

Anyway, if you want to stir up trouble you can try to force a prosecution. Much more effective than sounding off about it on fora. If you do follow this path, let us know how you get on.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Next

Return to General Chat Forum