Since we are doing videos...here's one of mine

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Car training.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 pm

stefan einz wrote:You have probably mistaken StressedDave's post for a serious one - he was actually gently taking the mickey out of me for this:

It's a habit I've tried to break and I think I successfully avoided a repeat in the video!

Being serious for a moment, I do like to vary my grip on the steering wheel - keeping it light most of the time, only firming it up when appropriate (e.g. on bumpy roads or when cornering with a high g-force). One of the ways I do that is to occasionally flex my grip (as you can see in the video) - it's an unconscious habit now to just ensure I don't start over gripping the rim.

Very gently - it's normally known as "gay steering" :mrgreen:

And seriously, in my turn, I find myself doing exactly as Steve describes too sometimes, consciously lightening the grip on the wheel such that only a couple of fingers retain contact, to remind me that the grip needs to be light. I don't stay in that position for long, but it prompts the brain to tell the hands, arms and shoulders to relax. Sometimes it has to be reinforced on a regular basis if the work rate is high, but conversely, as soon as you do it, the work rate should drop, because if you were doing something that made you think you needed a tight grip, you were probably straying outside your personal performance envelope anyway. An example of how us lesser mortals try to emulate our betters.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby StressedDave » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 pm

stefan einz wrote:You have probably mistaken StressedDave's post for a serious one - he was actually gently taking the mickey out of me for this:

It's a habit I've tried to break and I think I successfully avoided a repeat in the video!

And to be fair, I am champion of the 'I'm not holding the wheel at all' method of steering, so have no issue with the cocked little finger. Admittedly, doing a lap of the Outer Handling Circuit at Millbrook using just an index finger on the spokes tends to make people twitch a bit... not quite in the 'wondering quite how perverted 7db really is when there are aquatics in the vicinty' but close enough. :mrgreen:
StressedDave

Postby 7db » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Call me a squid-fiddler if you like, but last time someone saw my steering, they asked me if I'd been driving with you... :-)
7db

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum (Cars)