Which laws are you prepared to break when driving?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Car training.

Which of the following laws are you prepared to break?

Parking with direction of traffic except in marked parking bay
14%
Breaking at least one statutory speed limit
28%
Driving over a mini roundabout
24%
Stop sign (i.e. treating it as a give way)
9%
Going through an amber traffic light when you could safely stop
12%
Crossing a solid white line in an illegal manner or offsiding a keep left bollard
4%
Flagrantly disregarding a red light - albeit when it is safe to do so
4%
PCOJ - i.e. taking points for someone, getting someone to take points for you, etc
1%
Going the wrong way for a significant distance down a one way street, albeit in a manner you believe to be safe
2%
Drink Driving
1%

Total votes : 95

Postby fungus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:44 pm

PeterE wrote:A lot of the older main roads in the Republic of Ireland are like that.

And you had to look out in case it ended with a garden wall protruding into the hard shoulder. :roll:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby GJD » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:04 pm

PeterE wrote:Conceptually, are they any more dangerous than allowing overtaking on a normal two-lane road with a dashed centre line?

I don't know, but one thing that occurs is that if the road is wide enough for three lanes, then it's probably wide enough for four cars abreast (two going each way). If it's marked as two lanes, with just a single dashed centre line, then four abreast might well happen. If you're overtaking towards someone but able to keep on your side of the centre line, they might decide to overtake too if they can also keep on their side of the line. Four abreast like that is, I'd have thought, far less likely if the road is marked as three lanes as in the link you posted. Intuitively, it seems like there would probably be be more risk in four abreast than three, but I don't have any evidence one way or the other.

As I recall, this stretch of the A303 used to be marked as just two lanes and four abreast wasn't uncommon. It's now the boringly [*] sensible alternating overtaking direction layout that Ancient described - more restrictive than your example.

[*] Well, boring apart from the almighty dash to all get ahead of each other every time your side of the road goes from two lanes down to one.
GJD

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Oh well, at least I'm with the majority.
Btw, in New Zealand it is an offence to park against the direction of traffic, day or night.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum (Cars)